The 23-year-old was dropped by Brazil After accusations of physical assault on a number of occasions since last January towards his ex-partner Gabriela Cavalin. Anthony, who has appeared in 31 matches since Cavallin filed a complaint with Greater Manchester Police (GMP) in January, denied the allegations.
Cavallin’s lawyers have suggested to the Sao Paulo Civil Police that United send an officer to support the players to the Hyatt Regency hotel in Manchesterwhere an alleged assault took place in January, and that the officer called the club doctor to assess her injuries to prevent her from going to hospital and arousing suspicion.
Her lawyers asked Sao Paulo police to investigate the pro-officer’s actions and requested CCTV footage from the hotel, according to reports in Brazil.
However, Manchester United issued a short statement denying the allegations. “Any suggestion that the club covered these allegations is categorically untrue,” the statement read.
In an interview with Brazilian website UOL – which also published photos and screenshots of messages between the pair – Cavallin claimed she was attacked by Anthony with a “header” in her Manchester hotel room on January 15, which resulted in a severed head that required treatment. .
Cavalin, a social media influencer, claims she was punched in the chest by Anthony, which she claims damaged her silicone breast implant which required corrective surgery in Brazil.
Another alleged incident allegedly occurred at a home on May 8, where Cavallin said she cut her finger while trying to protect herself, and accuses Anthony of throwing a glass at her and then taking her passport.
Cavalin is said to have filed a report with the Civil Police in Sao Paulo regarding allegations of physical and verbal abuse by Anthony while on vacation in Brazil during June 2022, when she was pregnant, in addition to filing a separate complaint with the GMP.
An initial club statement read: “Manchester United acknowledges the allegations against Anthony and indicates that investigations are being conducted by the police.”
Pending further information, the club will not be making any further comments. As a club, we take this matter very seriously, bearing in mind the impact of these allegations and subsequent reports on survivors of abuse.
Brazil did drop Anthony from their squad for their upcoming international matches however United did not say Whether the player remains available for selection.
Writing on Instagram earlier this week, Anthony, who signed for United from Ajax in a £85.5m deal in September 2022, dismissed the allegations as “false accusations”.
He wrote: “From the beginning, I dealt with this matter seriously and with respect, and provided the necessary explanations before the police authority.” “However, I can calmly state that the accusations are false and that the evidence already presented and other evidence to be presented proves that I am innocent of the accusations made.
“My relationship with Gabriela was troubled, with verbal insults from both sides, but I never committed any physical abuse. Therefore, I strongly deny the accusations leveled and inform you that I remain at the disposal of the Brazilian authorities to clarify whatever is necessary.
“I am confident that the ongoing police investigation will show the truth about my innocence.”
Additional reporting by the Palestinian Authority