Manchester United Winger Anthony has agreed to postpone his return to the club to “address allegations” of assault made against him.
The 23-year-old was scheduled to return to training on Monday after being left out of Brazil’s squad for its World Cup qualifiers against Bolivia and Peru.
But United says that it was agreed with the player to postpone his return until further notice in order to address the matter.
Anthony denies all these accusations.
A club statement said: “Manchester United acknowledges the allegations made against Anthony.”
He added: “Players who did not participate in international matches are scheduled to return to training on Monday.
“However, it has been agreed with Anthony to postpone his return until further notice in order to address these allegations.
“As a club, we condemn acts of violence and abuse. We recognize the importance of protecting everyone involved in this situation, and acknowledge the impact these allegations have on survivors of abuse.”
A police investigation has been launched following allegations of domestic violence against his ex-girlfriend.
He also faces other allegations of assault made by a woman in an interview with a Brazilian television channel.
Anthony appeared on Brazilian television on Friday, saying, “I have never attacked any woman,” and adding, “The truth will come out.”
He issued a statement on Sunday in which he said: “I agreed with Manchester United to take a period of absence while the allegations against me are addressed.”
“This was a mutual decision to avoid distraction from my teammates and unnecessary controversy for the club.
He added: “I want to assert my innocence of the things I have been accused of, and I will cooperate fully with the police to help them find the truth. I look forward to returning to playing as soon as possible.”
Anthony was accused of attacking his ex-girlfriend Gabriella Cavallin with a “headbutt” in a hotel room in Manchester on January 15, leaving her with a wound on her head that needed to be treated by a doctor.
She alleges she was also punched in the chest, causing damage to her silicone breast implant, which required corrective surgery.
Anthony previously said on social media about Cavalin’s allegations: “I can calmly say that the accusations are false and that the evidence already presented and other evidence that will be presented prove that I am innocent of the accusations made.”
Ingrid Lana, a 33-year-old banker, also claimed in a short clip published by Brazilian channel Record TV that she hit her head when Anthony “pushed her against the wall” at his home in Manchester in October 2022.
Both are greater Manchester Police and São Paulo police are investigating these allegations.
Anthony did not play in the international break after the Brazilian Football Confederation said he was withdrawn from its squad after “facts became public” which “need to be investigated”.
BBC Sport Simon Stone
As the Brazilian has not been charged or arrested, Anthony remains on full pay and his absence is not being treated as a suspension by United.
However, while confirming the current situation allows Anthony to defend himself – which he did in a television interview on Friday – the club also feel it reflects the seriousness with which they are taking these allegations.
The decision was signed by CEO Richard Arnold after consultation with Director Erik ten Hag.
The club intends to continue reviewing the situation.